Today we had a big crowd at storytime! It was a gray fall day, so maybe the weather urged people inside, or perhaps they’re just getting back into the rhythm of the season (storytimes are a little more sporadic in the summer because of all the other programs we do). There were at least 15 kids in the 2-3 age range, plus assorted siblings and several late arrivals. In the beginning, we had more than ten but I did the name song anyway – it’s a great way to learn names and start building individual connections.
- “Hello Friends” song with ASL
- Name song (“Hello ____, hello ___, hello ____, we’re glad you came today”)
- Handed out shaker eggs for Tyrannosaurus Wrecks! by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen, illustrated by Zachariah Ohora
- Kept the shaker eggs for Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton. Collected shaker eggs after.
- Song cube: ABC song
- Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony
- Song cube: “If You’re Happy and You Know It”
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping On the Bed by Eileen Christelow (jumping encouraged!)
- Count the Monkeys by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Kevin Cornell
- Song cube: “I Had A Little Turtle”
- Scarves (by audience request) for Still Stuck by Shinsuke Yoshitake. Collected scarves.
- Goodbye song with ASL. Put away colored mats. Dance party with bubbles! (We have an old ipod loaded up with Raffi and Disney versions of classic kid music. And I brought my own bubbles from home because I am devoted to Pustefix bubbles.)
I skipped the flannel board and craft this week, but for next week I am thinking of a craft with paper dots and glue to go with Lots of Dots, and maybe The Very Hungry Caterpillar flannel board again…if I can make a butterfly before next Monday!